Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Technicalities of technicians

If you are reading this then not only has the article passed under Ma’am Reyburn’s acceptability radar but the computer you are using has not yet fallen prey to the St Alban’s IT department.

Allow me to explain.

It all started on a lovely Sunday evening with a single thought: “Facebook”.
A simple desire by all accounts but one riddled with petty flaws.

As the Ochse House computers and their permanent residents have by this stage morphed into single beings I had no choice but to log on with my laptop, just as I had a week previously.
This required the simple act of connecting to the new and improved school network.
There was only one problem…I couldn’t.

For whatever reason I was now required to take my laptop to the “techies” up at STA-Tech for a few network adjustments. So, leaving my computer in the hands of the boffs, I left to fulfill my various sporting and extramural commitments.

Upon my return nearly three hours later I found my laptop exactly where I had left it. Amidst complaints of “…so many laptops to sort out these days…” (well DUH! Everyone with a laptop in the school has to bring it in to be connected) my computer was inspected.
After another half an hour of waiting I was told to return in the morning.
I was only too happy to oblige because, being in Form Four, I had practically no work and research to do that night.

The next morning during the third period I had IT where I needed my computer for fairly obvious reasons. So I began the journey from the maths classes where we do IT to TODD where people were doing maths.
After a few last minute adjustments and instructions on how to re-enter the wireless settings everytime the network disconnects for a second, I returned to IT for a period of Facebook.

So, with no standardised test the next day (it was business studies), I decided to get some information for future projects.
After a quick scavenger-hunt to try and relocate all my files and folders now randomly situated throughout the computer (except where I put them), I decided that it might be nice to listen to some music while working.
While waiting for I-Tunes to reinstall itself I noticed that my computer was not actually connected to the St Alban’s network.
I eventually found the one setting that the IT guy changed while I had watched him and did as he had done.

I clicked “ok” and waited for a second or two…
at least one of the settings you changed did not change

“ok”


Again

Again

Again


Ok…so maybe the new, improved system has some problems. I can just take it back again tomorrow.

Lets just do some accounting while listening to music.
Open I-Tunes.

?

What happened to all the music?

-----

Alex Schorr

No comments: