Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What happened to our motivation

What happened to having something big to strive for?! Recently I have discovered that the 1st Team tracksuit has been taken away. I don’t know if it was a decision made by the Headmaster, the schools governing board, or the sports department but I have no doubt that it certainly didn’t come from the students here at College as it was a big part of our motivation. No one College boy can honestly say that they having pictured themselves in a 1st Team tracksuit, standing out from the rest of College. There was a debate on Talk Radio 702 last year in which St Stithian’s Girls were complaining that unlike their brother school there did not award colours to braided onto their blazers. Is that what St Alban’s College is turning into, a school in which no honour or recognition is given to those that achieve. Is someone who achieves greatly in the class room going to be left with an ordinary zebra tie and a just ordinary plain blue blazer which new boys also wear.
Pride. That’s what it all comes to. The pride of achieving something great. The pride of walking around in a tracksuit, not the same as others, but one that stands out and says “I’m here, standing in my motivation.” Standing in something I said in Form 1 looking up to a Matric, who’s got a 1st Team tie, tracksuit and colours, and saying “That is going to be me.” Some people and strived hard and waited 4 years to earn a great achievement, and to have that ripped away from them is just sad. How can an Albanian be proud to present himself in his plain blue and grey tracksuit when he knows deep down he actually earned a 1st Team tracksuit. There goes our motivation, their goes our pride, and personally I wouldn’t be surprised if motivation didn’t come easily. I know I’ve lost it.

1 comment:

rj_10 said...

True! very deep! BRING BACK THE FIRST TEAM TRACKSUIT!